We particularly like this puzzle, it not only looks fantastic it is an engineering challenge in its own right. To make these unique turned puzzle balls :
- We take a Missionary puzzle from the Joy of Hex set.
- The next job is to assemble the hex puzzle.
- The puzzle is placed in a lathe, in the correct orientation. There's only one.
- Machine the puzzle into a ball and hope that the puzzle stays assembled (see point above).
- Carefully dismantle the ball-shaped puzzle.
- Tumble each piece (for hours) to ensure every edge is gently rounded.
- Re-assemble each ball, pack in an orange ball sack, and post!
The extended tumbling with additional abrasives means the colour of the brass is a little darker than our other puzzles.
Although these puzzles will not be limited, the manufacturing process means, we are always likely to make these in smaller batches than our other puzzles.
The name of this puzzle was (partly) determined by using the wisdom of the crowds on the Midlands Puzzle Party Facebook Group. If you are a fan of our puzzles, it's a pretty good place to hang out and meet us and a ton of other cool puzzlers.